As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Rabid Reader Recommendations — R3 Wednesdays!

WELCOME to Rabid Reader Recommendations, or R3 WEDNESDAYS! We host this discussion the first Wednesday of every month; it’s a great opportunity to recommend and discuss works you have enjoyed in the queer speculative fiction genre. These recommendations may end up on a file you can access on our website–stay tuned for details. For February R3, the theme is: Dystopia! (Dystopian literature features an imagined place or state where everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.) HOW IT WORKS: This is a reader discussion. Don’t recommend your own works–get someone to do it for you! … Read more

FOR READERS: Cover Secrets

cover secret

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer J. Scott Coatsworth: Have you ever had that a-ha moment when reading a book, when the cover image suddenly makes sense? “Oh, it’s from that scene!” or “Ah, that’s what those squiggles are”. Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

For Writers: Best Cons

convention - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer ‘Nathan Smith: “From the angle of what you’ve learned, gotten out of them, best return-on-investment/diversity/voices, etc.” It’s a good question, and I like that Nathan broke it up by what you get out of it, because different cons are good for different things. :) Join the chat

For Readers: Finding Likeminded Readers

readers - Pixabay

FOR READERS You like some weird things. Two-headed vampires. The “My Baby is a Tortoise Shifter” trope. When a novel has not two romantic leads, but seventeen. How do you find other readers who share your particular tastes? Where do you look? What are your favorite sites? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

The Second Annual Me Me Awards

me-me-awards

Today the winners of the MM Romance Readers Choice Awards were announced. I want to give a hearty congratulations to everyone who won – this is your day. You buckled down and worked hard, and it’s a wonderful thing that you won the award. 🙂 However, I am not one of those people. Oh, I know, it’s an honor to be nominated, right? And yeah, it actually kind of is, because it means someone else thought highly enough of me and my work to put me up next to all of those other great authors. But for all of us … Read more

Light in the Darkness

candle - pixabay

Today there’s some big event or other going on in Washington DC. But we’re not paying attention to that. Instead, we thought we’d inject a little hope into the world with what we’re calling “Light in the Darkness”. We want to make our own little safe haven here at QSF. Tell us about someone, or several someones, who you turn to when all is bleak – people who help you see the good in the world again. They can be lovers, family, friends, idols – whoever brings you hope and rekindles your own flame. We’ll return tomorrow to our normally … Read more

For Readers and Writers: What Happens Now?

2016 election map

FOR READERS & WRITERS Tomorrow, President Obama leaves office, and President Trump and a unified GOP government becomes a reality. I don’t want to get into the politics of it all here. There are plenty of other places to do that. And tomorrow we will offer alternative programming. But I do want to discuss something that’s been much on my mind of late. What impact will this have on our little corner of the universe? Will queer romance and LGBTIQA fiction continue toi grow and flourish, or will there be a chilling effect? Will new laws targeting our community in … Read more

For Writers: Writing Fan Fic

Princess Leia

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Ryane Chatman: Are you ever inspired to write a little fan fiction in homage to your favorite stories? I occasionally write prose and poetry for personal pleasure about some of my favorite characters. Join the chat