As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

For Readers: Why Do You Read?

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: Why do you read? For pleasure, research, for escape, ideas? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Asta’s Annotations: Editing Tips for Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writers

Today I thought I would cover three of the common editing queries I see from science fiction and fantasy writers. 1) World and Race Names The common issue here appears to be whether or not to capitalise. My advice is to follow standard English conventions, unless you have a strong reason not to do so. In either case, the real key is consistency. Don’t swap and change from chapter to chapter; make a decision on your preference and stick to it. Here is an example based on common English usage, followed by a fantasy rendering. In Denmark, many Danes enjoy … Read more

For Writers: Action Heroes

action hero

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Hank T. Cannon: LGBTQIA action heroes: what do you put into them that satisfies the tropes of the genre, but also makes them yours, out side of the cookie cutter mainstream action hero? Maybe that is the point, LGBTIQA action heroes are just like mainstream action heroes except for the romance part? Join the chat

For Readers: Comedy in Paranormal

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Angel Martinez: “How many vamps does it take to screw in a light bulb – or what non-serious paranormal moments have you enjoyed?” Since this is a reader chat, we won’t mention the many humorous paranormal exploits of a well known author friend of ours. *wing* Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Jeff Baker—Boogieman In Lavender

The View From Worldcon, or Down On The Swanwick River by Jeff Baker A stack of autographed books and a head full of memories. Those are the souvenirs from a few days at MidAmeriCon II, the World Science Fiction Convention, held in Kansas City, MO August 17 through 21, 2016. We got there Thursday the 18th in time for me to drive over to the Crown Center (the vast convention facility where the convention was being held) and see it all for myself. I had been to Bouchercon (the Mystery Writers of America Convention) in Cleveland in 2012 so I … Read more

For Writers: Writing Non Binary

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer John Allenson: John suggested that we talk about writing non binary characters. So often in fiction, we’re stuck on the idea that characters are either male or female – that they fit into society’s traditional gender worldview. Even with transgender characters, there’s often an expectation that they are “really” one or another – male or female – and are on a journey to physically become their real gender. But that leaves out a whole bunch of people, including folks who are intersex, transgender people who do not fully transition, and gender fluid … Read more

For Readers: Comfort Reads

book-hug

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Hank T Cannon : “What are some of your favorite comfort reads? Share them with us. Tell us why you like them.” Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Angel’s Bits – Author as Reader

It bothers me on a wince-inducing, cellular level when an author says these words: I don’t have time to read. Dude (used in the gender-neutral, collective sense) – that’s part of your job as an author. To read. Oh, I know. We can’t read everything. Sometimes it’s difficult to grab enough time to read, certainly. Most of us don’t have the time to read all the books we’d like. But we have to grab, borrow and steal some time. Somewhere. Especially when an author writes genre fiction, it’s a good idea to understand what’s out there. Are we being too … Read more

For Readers: DNF

Did Not Finish

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: “What makes you DNF a book?” For those not familiar with the term, it’s “Did not finish.” Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

For Writers: Mentoring New Authors

Yoda mentors Luke

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Ryane Chatman: “How do you feel about mentoring new authors?” I like to think that QSF provides a safe space for experienced, new, and aspiring authors, but have any of you taken someone on one-on-one? How was/is the experience? Join the chat