As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR WRITERS: Chanelling Your Righteous Anger

angry - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Jerome Stueart: I’m angry. Furious over the Chechnya situation, but also angry over many injustices against people (LGBT, PoC, women, etc.) Is Anger a good place to work from? Does Revenge-Writing or Anger-Writing do anything positive—not in an essay but in FICTION? Is there a place for LGBT fiction writing that is violent and fictionally redresses wrongs that have been done to us? (I was raised as a Christian; I know the Jesus rules, but in this case I believe asserting even some fictional power would be helpful.) What say you, gang? … Read more

FOR READERS: Endings

ending - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Deschene: If a book is labeled a romance, do you expect a HEA/HFN? If you write a story and it is about 2 people falling in love and progresses to old age but one of the MCs dies, is that a romance novel or is it something else? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

Rabid Reader Recommendations — R3 Wednesdays!

WELCOME to Rabid Reader Recommendations, or R3 WEDNESDAYS! We host this discussion the first Wednesday of every month; it’s a great opportunity to recommend and discuss works you have enjoyed in queer speculative fiction. For May R3, the theme is: Ace/Aro! (Any work where one or more of the main characters is asexual or aromantic.) HOW IT WORKS: The works have to be QUILTBAG Speculative Fiction. They have to be related to the theme. This is a reader discussion. Don’t recommend your own works–get someone to do it for you! Please include a Goodreads link or something comparable. You can … Read more

FOR WRITERS: What’s in the Vault?

vault - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Denise Deschene: When did you start writing and how many of your early stories are stored away on composition books or typed up waiting to see the light of day? Do you ever go back and read them, if so have you published any of them, if not why not? Join the chat

FOR READERS: Queer Communities in Sci Fi

gay community - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Brian Cherry: For readers (and writers) what books have explored an LGBT community in a sci fi or fantasy setting? This isn’t something I can recall seeing. Queers in sci fi/fantasy seem to be either fully integrated or persecuted loners. Just getting queer characters is sometimes enough but I’d love to see how we’d be as a community with gay elves, aliens or whatnot. Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR READERS: Waiiiiting.

dog waiting - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer ‘Nathan Smith: How (if at all) does the output of an author play into your readership? Like, an author who releases a book every couple of years or so vs authors who release something every other month – does that factor at all into your reading habits, or your expectations? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Brainstorming

brainstorming - pixabay

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Robin Harper: FOR WRITERS: Brainstorming. That magical time of creation where you let your imagination go and dream up the impossible! There are many techniques, and a thousand pieces of advice on how to do it, and how not do to it! What works best for you? Any methods that completely failed? How do you take the hard drive of your brain and squeeze out it’s riches onto paper to start forming ideas? Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Local Book Clubs

book club - pixabay

FOR WRITERS & READERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Nathan Smith: “Ever had (or been) the author at a local book club? How did it go, what prep-work did you do? Any learning experiences to share?” I’d like to broaden this out just a little further to include local author-reader events. :) Join the chat