As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

For Readers: Refill the Discussion Topics Bucket

rainbow bucket

It’s that time again. I went to get s topic for today off my infamous spreadsheet of death ™ and… gasp… it was empty. No new reader topics. Nothing. Nada. So I need your help. What do y’all wanna talk about? Want to discuss the latest trends in werewolfery? Hot to discuss your favorite new reads? Or are you dying to ask why, for the love of God, does some author you love not come out with the sequel to her much-beloved DSP sci fi book? This is your chance to let us know. Post your ideas below, and we’ll … Read more

For Writers: Juvenilia

Juvenilia

Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Jim Comer: Juvenilia. It’s a word I wasn’t familiar with until Jim brought it up to me recently. But as Google tells me, it’s “works produced by an author or artist while still young.” *laughs* I wrote some real crap back then. So my questions to you today: When did you start writing? Do you ever look back at your early stuff? And what was the worst thing you wrote at that age, or the best? Join the chat

Interview: Vance Bastian Talks Audio

Vance Bastian

I’m really excited about this one. Todat at 8 am PST, 11 AM EST, QSF’s own Vance Bastian is going to be here to talk with us about all things audio. Vance is a writer, voice actor/audiobook narrator, and podcast host for the WROTE Podcast, where he interviews LGBTIQ authors along with SA Collins and Jayne Lockwood, and the new Capfire Podcast, a full novel told in daily bites. We will touch om all these things with Vance, and he can answer your questions about audiobooks and production. It should be a great chat! https://www.facebook.com/groups/qsfdiscussions/

For Readers: Judging It By The Cover

We’re always told not to judge a book by its cover. But is that advice really meant to be taken literally? Many sci fi covers have a very specific look – a futuristic font. Space. A cool looking ship. A man in a space suit. These visual cues help us grasp immediately that this is a sci fi book. If a book just had a photo of a pickle on it, would that make you as a sci fi reader want to pick it up? Similarly, romance books have their own look. For MM, it’s often the shirtless male torso … Read more

For Writers: The Fermi Paradox

Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Jim Comer: Has anyone seen Geoffrey Landis’ intriguing answer to the Fermi Paradox? If even a very small fraction of the hundred billion stars in the galaxy are home to technological civilizations which colonize over interstellar distances, the entire galaxy should be completely colonized in a few million years. The absence of such extraterrestrial civilizations visiting Earth is the Fermi Paradox. You can find Landis’s arguments here. In a nutshell, though, why haven’t we found noisy galactic neighbors? Join the chat

For Readers: Make the Movie

Sci fi, fantasy and paranormal are big moneymakers in theaters these days, but with rare exception they are very, very straight. So my question today: What LGBTIQA speculative fiction book do you want to see turned into a feature film? And who would star in it? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

For Writers: Writing FF

FF Fiction

Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Carrie Pack Chowske: I’d love to hear the perspectives of authors who write F/F or bisexual or trans stories. Do FF authors face particular challenges because the field is so M/M dominant? My new book features a bisexual character and its sequel will have a significant F/F pairing. I’d love to know what the readership in those areas are looking for and what other authors are doing. Join the chat

For Writers: Review/Blog Sites for Queer Fiction

Rainbow Flag

Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Matt Cresswell: Half the challenge of publishing is getting your book out there to people when it’s finished. I get asked quite often for recommendations of blogs and reviewers who’ll read lgbtq fiction, and although I know loads my mind always goes blank. So I’m asking for help! Here is an online list which can be added to and edited that lists review venues, blogs and podcasts that will take queer fiction. It’s pretty thin on the ground right now as we’ve only just launched it but with your help it could be the … Read more

For Readers: It’s About Time

Go back in time and stomp on a butterfly, and you may set off a chain reaction down the timeline that changes everything. Or maybe you just kill one insignificant butterfly. Who knows? Time travel stories are fraught with danger and paradox loops – that’s what makes them so fun! So what’s your favorite time travel story of all time? And why? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat