Something fun today – we’re pre-announcing our flash fiction contest theme for 2017.
This will be our fourth year doing the contest – hard to believe it. For the first three years, our themes (and the people who chose them) were:
- Endings – Scott
- Discovery – Mark
- Flight – Angel
For our fourth year, the theme was chosen by Ben, and is… *insert drumroll here*:
We want your stories of when things changed for the better. Tell us about:
- The wicked witch who was redeemed by good magic
- The old bucket of bolts starship given a new life
- The woman reborn as a bloodthirsty monster after finding a magical artifact
- The transgender kid who finds a new purpose when he finds out his true heritage
- The werewolf who finally accepts his purpose in life
- A lesbian faery seeks renewal in her relationship with an ogress
- The defeat of the space tyrant and the return of true democracy to the planet
These should be stories of change and improvement–we all need a little hope, right? Although improvement is in the eyes of the beholder, so feel free to give us a twist we don’t expect. Just make us believe your story embraces “renewal” in some way.
We encourage stories from across the speculative fiction spectrum (sci fi, fantasy, paranormal and horror in all their flavors) and the queer spectrum (LGBTIQA). Max length is 300 words, as counted by Word. Romance welcome but not required.
The contest will run from April 1st to April 30th, but feel free to get started on your stories now. If you have any questions, let us know!
–Scott, Angel, Ben and Mark