As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FOR WRITERS: Dying to Try It

Skeleton

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Jana Denardo: Is there a story idea you’d love to try but just haven’t yet? Is there a particular small subgenre you’d like to tackle? Join the chat

FOR READERS: I Like ‘Em Regular

Time - Pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Nathan Smith: How (if at all) does the output of an author play into your readership? Like, an author who releases a book every couple of years or so vs authors who release something every other month – does that factor at all into your reading habits, or your expectations? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR READERS & WRITERS: Sex in Genre Fiction

sex - pixabay

FOR READERS & WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Hank T Cannon: What’s the role of sex in genre fiction? I wasn’t introduced to sexy books in romance, but in decidedly non-romantic sci fi and contemporary fiction (hello Harold H. Robbins) where it was depicted as a description of power, personality, or outgrowth of culture, and kind of treated like sport. Only later as my reading expanded did sex as a conduit for romance, or as an ignition for romance enter the picture. Is sex just for the fun of it gratuitous in genre fiction, or does it serve … Read more

FOR READERS: Tropes That Make You Go Eeeew

Disgust - Deposit Photos

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Amy Mills: Are there tropes that immediately turn you off of a story? No judgement – there’s something for everyone – but which tropes would you rather not read, and why? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat

FOR WRITERS: Stealth Eugenics

disability

FOR WRITERS Today’s writer topic comes from QSFer Cyd Athens: This topic, which I believe would be a writer discussion, is inspired by something Else Sjunneson-Henry wrote on her Twitter feed. Her core contention: “If you’re writing far future, or even near future SF and you don’t have disabled people in it, then you’re participating in eugenicist thought processes.” There are other ways to frame this too. I’ll try to tackle it from a more positive angle – Should we rethink our future stories, specifically in terms of who we might be leaving out, and what it might signify? See … Read more

FOR READERS: Yaoi and Friends

Yaoi

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Kari Trenten: I’d love to talk a little about anime, manga, yaoi, yuri, shounen ai, and shoujo ai. Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! This is a legacy chat. Join the chat

FOR READERS: What Grabs You?

grabby hands - pixabay

FOR READERS Today’s reader topic comes from QSFer Denise Dechene: Everyone has their favorite authors,books and tropes. What makes you pick up a book by a new author or try a new trope? Is it reviews, the cover, the blurb or word of mouth? Writers: This is a reader chat – you are welcome to join it, but please do not reference your own works directly. Thanks! Join the chat